Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Korean Music

In high school, I went through a phase where I completely embraced my Korean-ness. As an Asian teenager, this meant pretty much acting black. At the time, I thought it was completely normal, but looking back on it, I find it quite odd. It seems like Asians wanted to be known for being tough since the stereotype is having thick glasses, being a math whiz, and eating cats. Or dogs. So, us Asian teenagers wore baggy clothes, break danced (or attempted), and listened to rap/hip-hop.

Besides rap/hip-hop, there was a whole sub-genre of Korean music in that category. They had the most hilarious names like:

H.O.T. - 'High Five of Teenagers'
FinK.L - 'Fine Killing Liberty'
Drunken Tiger
1Tym
Sechs Kies - 'Six Kids' in German, I believe (I don't know why)

Hahaha! I kind of want to listen to them again! I wonder if I would like them or think that they were any good after all these years...kind of like watching He-Man or Thundercats as an adult; as a kid, I personally loved those shows, but watching them again...well, they're not quite as awesome as I remember. :)

So yeah, when I go home this Thursday, I might dig out my Korean music and wax nostalgic on the days when my pants were wide and my music funky.



-Stinkier, nostalgic.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home